Monday, June 02, 2008

The Dreaded "R" Word...


Since it's June - summer for us in the Northern Hemisphere - I've been thinking a lot about vacations, travel and all that sort of thing. Plus we're in the middle of a hot political season as well. Both these topics crashed head-on into each other when I put gas in my car yesterday.

There's no two ways about it, nor any polite way of putting it - we're in a RECESSION, folks. The politicians can call it what they want, but when the cost of filling my gas tank nearly maxes out my credit card...when a gallon of milk requires I pass on the cookies to go with it...and when every bill I get in the mail is higher than the last one - yep. It's a recession, all right.

So I have to wonder how you all are managing, given our current financial crisis. And in particular, how it is affecting your reading. I'm a writer. I need to know these things!!!

So here's some questions for you - and I hope you have chance to answer them. Vent a little frustration, whine, rant..whatever you want.

Question One: Are you reading as much now as you did a year ago? I'm not. Besides the time thing, I have a habit of digging around in my bookshelf for old favorites and re-reading them now and again, especially on long hot summer afternoons. It's like spending time with old friends.

Question Two: When you do scrabble together enough pennies for a book, how are you choosing what you'll buy? Are you getting less-expensive books these days? Waiting for them to be reduced or end up on the Bargain aisle? Or are you saving up for that one new release from a favorite author?

Question Three: Are you sharing books with friends? Setting up your own little lending library? (Hint: Put your NAME inside those paperbacks. They'll get lost and won't be able to find their way home otherwise. I'm still missing a Nora Roberts someplace...)

Question Four
: Are you having to make a choice these days between books and other things? I'm not sure there ARE "other things" but my family has this silly habit of complaining if I'm out of stuff like eggs and bread. Obviously they haven't realized the nourishment provided by a good book. (Also a diet aid if you bought it instead of double chocolate chip ice cream. Hmm. The Recession Diet? LOL)

I'm interested in knowing how you feel about all this. How your purchases - when it comes to reading - are affected by the overall financial situation going on right now. We're all feeling the pinch, tightening our belts and looking for ways to economize - and cover that damn fuel bill. Where do books rate on your priority list?

Oh...Question Five: Anybody know where I can find some cheap gas?

3 comments:

Tarot By Arwen said...

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, I live alone. I can splurge a bit on things like food and books. I also live less than 3 miles from where I work and literally everything I need is in between work and the apartment. I don't drive as much so I stay home more. The thing I give up when money is tight is the movies. And that's hard!!!!

Sally Painter said...

Cheap gas!

I've been reading about alternative car energies. The H2O conversion is very appealing. I found a site where you can buy the instructions for a convertor at the DIY cost of $150 from the local hardware and auto stores.

One guy who is workingon a hydrogen run car gets 100 miles to 4 oz of water. Now that is my kind of energy!

My very favorite is the air-powered car (the first developed in 1932!) Another inventor in Germany developed a hybrid of diesel and compressed air in 1930!

Today there are a handful of inventors trying to get their air cars on a manfacturing line and one has been successful. A French designer teamed up with a leading Indian car manufacturer.

I sure hope they bring that baby over here. I'll be first in line!

Nicole Austin said...

The gas situation is insane. I traded in my high maintenance car and got the gas card deal from Dodge which locks the price of gas at $2.99 per gallon for the next 3 years.

One: I'm reading less simply because I have less time. I consider books a necessity though and actually have book money worked into my budget.

Two: I have stopped buying print books since ebooks tend to be so much less expensive.

Three: No! Even with my name in the book for some reason they never all came back home. Sorry, I don't share well!

Four: I refuse to give up books!

Five: Not a clue