Sunday, May 25, 2008

Plucking the heart strings


This week we're going to be sharing some of our ideas on writing love letters. I have to say that despite being a writer, composing a love letter has always been difficult. There's too much I want to say and not enough "right" words to say it with.

However, while I may not be able to compose a letter than conveys all I want to say - and have the meaning be as clear as I intend, I have discovered that music speaks the language of love in a way that mere words cannot. So, over the years I kept my ears open, waiting for that one song that said it all, that one song that when I'm gone, if he remains, my childen can play for him as an expression of love and gratitude for all he means to me and how he has blessed my life with his love.

Luckily I found that song. I can still remember the first time I listened to it with him. It was 5:45 am in June of 1996. It was a Wednesday. My honey and I were on our way to the gym for our usual early morning workout. Just as we pulled into the parking lot this song came on. I heard the first few notes and reached out to stay his hand as he went to turn off the car.

"I really need you to hear this."

We sat and listened, looking at each other. I cried. He reached over and put his hand on the side of my face and smiled. When the song finished I said "She wrote that for me. To say all of the things I don't have words for. And for all the things I want you to know."

He smiled again,kissed me and held me close. And my love letter, the only one I'll ever need was delivered.

While words may convey the message, music drives it home in a way that's powerful and moving. And so my love song is and always will be ....



So what's your love song?

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I love that song. So beautiful. I guess I would have to say that these two songs fit me and hubby.

Both by Kelly Clarkson: You Found Me & Before Your Love

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aBVJjmMm_8 ] You Found Me

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byC7A3UiQW0 ] Before Your Love

Lyrics for You Found Me
Is this a dream
if it is
please dont wake me from this high
id become
comfortably numb
until you opened up my eyes

> to what its like
when everythings right
oh i cant believe

You found me
when no one else was looking
how did u kno just where i would be?
yeah you broke through all of my confusion
the ups and the downs and you still didnt leave
i guess that you saw what nobody could see
you found me

so here we are
thats pretty far
when you think of where weve been
no going back
im fading out
all that has faded me within
you're by my side
now everythings fine
i can believe

Lyrics for Before Your Love--
I wonder how I ever made it through a day
How did I settle for a world in shades of gray
When you go in circles all the scenery looks the same
And you don't know why and then i looked into your eyes
Where the road stretched out in front of me and I realized

I never lived before your love
I never felt before your touch

> I never needed anyone to make me feel alive
But then again, I wasnt really living
I never lived before your love

I wanted more than just an ordinary life
Although my dreams seemed like castles in the sky
I stand before you when my heart was in your hands
And i dont know how i survived without your kiss
Cause you've given me a reason to exist.

I never lived before your love
I never felt before your touch
I never needed anyone to make me feel alive
But then again I wasn't really living
I never lived before your love.

I never lived before your love

And I don't know why
Why the sun decides to shine
But you've breathed your love into me just in time

I never lived before your love
I never felt before your touch
I never needed anyone to make me feel alive
But then again I wasn't really living
I never lived before your love.

Nicole Austin said...

Awwww! What a special memory. I've always found music to be incredibly powerful! It's amazing the way a certain song can speak to you and capture your emotions perfectly.

N.J.Walters said...

Beautiful song, Ciana. It is hard to come up with the right words sometimes. Like you, I find it hard.

My favorite song is one that hubby wrote for me years ago back when he was playing in a band. It still brings tears to my eyes.