Friday, November 09, 2007

Incubus or Succubus - Are they real?


Sometimes people are too quick to attribute an event or episode to paranormal. Among some of these are the paranormal being linked to unusual sexual encounters. Why? Does it tap into the nerve of taboo or is it something darker? Are Incubi and Succubi attacking women and men in their sleep and having forced sex with them? Do some become sexual addicts as is the case of one woman who reported group sex with her disemboided spirits?

History is full of stories of incubus or succubus attacks. The unsuspecting victim awakens while being sexually assaulted. Is this a case of awake dreaming or a psychological symptom of a deeper and more disturbing mental illness? Or ... could it in fact be a real paranormal event?

I've had only one incident where I awoke to find an entity in my bed and it was not an incubus, but the astral projection of my boyfriend. Could this solve the great mystery? Are disembodied entities nothing more than people astral projecting while they sleep? Hmm... I think there is a story in there somewhere.

The logical mind rejects disembodied sex since the world of the physical cannot imagine a phsycial act being performed by a spirit. In our modern world, we take comfort that we know how everything works. We have theories. We have scientists who put forth these theories and they are the framework of all we know to be real. We have a firm handle on how the universe works and in our modern world if science cannot prove it, then, hey, it simply doesn't exist.

Nevermind, such stories have been around since people began the oral tradition of storytelling. Even Shakespeare wrote about it. Could it have so simple an explanation as sleep paralysis? Deep dream? Awake dream?

I decided to google Incubus and stumbled upon a link to an old William Shatner film by the title, Incubus. For horror fans, this is the holy grail of lost films and can be purchased on the website.

But I soon found myself on a different path to the made-up language used by the demonic incubi and succubi in the film. Esperanto.

I was hooked.

And shocked... to learn there are over 3 million people in the world who have learned and speak Esperanto. A language created and presented to the world in 1887 by Dr. L.L. Zamenhof.

So why would anyone create a new language?

Dr. Zamenhof felt Esperanto could serve as a middle ground kind of language since it was based in the romance languages - Latin and Greek. He envisioned Esperanto becoming a universal second language so those who spoke different languages would have a common language to communicate in, without compromising their own culture and language.

I found this to be a really unique and forward thinking idea. It took Dr. Zamenhof years to develop Esperanto and to think it ended up in a horror movie as the language choice for demons. Well, probably not the way he'd hoped it would be embraced, but I'm off to see if I can learn Esperanto and maybe better understand what the incubus is whispering.

6 comments:

Nicole Austin said...

Hmm...I'm not sure what I think about incubus and succubus sexual attacks. All I know is it hasn't ever happened to me, but that doesn't me it isn't happening. I tend to lean toward a more psychological explanation though. Maybe something from deep in the persons subconscious.

Great topic!

Sally Painter said...

I don't either, Nic. I guess it if happened to us, we'd know! Keeping my bubble of white light surrounding me at all times.

Ciana / Syneca said...

I have to side with the bard on this one and just quote Hamlet:

And therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

N.J.Walters said...

Fascinating subject, Sally.

Sally Painter said...

Ci, you actor you!

Sally Painter said...

Thank you, Nicole. I agree. It truly captures my imagination.