Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Smile, Damn it! Smile!



This week on Hussy Charm School I'm going to help you with a vital skill every Hussy should know...faking it!

That's right! Like Meg Ryan sitting in a restaurant across from Billy Crystal belting out a five-star orgasm, it's every Hussy's duty--no right--to be able to fake it. And during the holiday season, I'm talking about that very important thing: a smile.

Look, I know it's colder than my polar hunk's bare bum sitting in the snow (of course then you have to warm it up...gone to my happy place... oh wait...back on topic now) outside, and you have ninety million and one holiday cards to write. The kids are screaming for the latest whateveritistheyhavetohave and your family is about to make you take a one way trip to Antarctica (penguins, whee!). I want you to stop everything right now. Pull up those muscles in your face and smile.

Look, the laws of nature, holidays, and retailing have decided that the next four weeks will take the patience of a saint to get through, and even the saints are about ready to commit murder. Things will be tight on time, even tighter on money, and yet, somehow, when all the paper has been shredded and the tree is making new habitat in some environmentally friendly recycling program (unless you're me and stuck with a 2' fiber optic job because your cat will not let you have a real tree, sniff!sniff! Wait SMILE!), the truth is you'll look back on the holidays and smile at all the new memories you made.

Don't be glum. See the beauty in the snow. Remember what it was like to be a kid waiting for the holidays. Tired of the same old carols? Make up your own. I'm particularly fond of a version of Let It Snow, that involves the rousing chorus, "because I work from home, Let it snow, let it snow, LET IT SNOW! Because my job won't give me snow days, let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!" It's fun. And it'll put a smile on your face.

There. Don't you feel better? Now you can fake it with the best of 'em.

5 comments:

Julianne said...

That was great Mary. haha
Let it snow, Let it snow, let it snow.

Sally Painter said...

Too funny, Mary. Were my holidays like your hypothetical one, then I would definitely need to find that smile button and just keep my finger pressed on it.

I've never understood the whole uptight over Christmas or holidays in general. Decorating for Christmas is such fun and squeezing all the activities into a busy schedule a challenge, but I love going to parties, hosting parties and sharing meals with family and friends.

I think taking control of your holiday activities is vital or you will begin to feel run over by a train. Great post!

And an early "Merry Christmas"!!! Ho!Ho!Ho!

Nicole Austin said...

I like to give them my patented keep-them-guessing smile. Its one of those grins which make people wonder what you're up to.

Because I live in Florida, let it snow, let it snow... Hey, stranger things have happened. LOL!

Ciana / Syneca said...

Fabulous Mary!!

Hehehe - I'm with Nic. Let it snow. She and I would be among the ... five? people out enjoying it while the rest of the state huddled indoors in their fur lined parkas in horrified shock:)

Mary, you hit on something that most people don't know really works to change a mood or attitude. I've always practiced smile therapy. Plaster a big smile on your face and keep it there for a while and before long you notice your mood changes.

(AND, it's actually an excellent exercise for the face). Hey, what can I say, I'm a Hussy that believes in getting the most bang out of every buck:)

N.J.Walters said...

Attitude is everything! Great blog, Mary!

Polar hunks....hmmm...what was I saying. *g*