Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Listen and you will hear them too...


When I tell people I hear voices I usually get strange looks, then I see their hands reaching for their phones to call the guys in little white coats for me. When I clarify and tell them that I write theses voices onto the page of a book they still give me strange looks but they are mixed with awe.

Inevitably they ask the question. “You’re a writer?”When I say yes, I get lots of questions that follow. How do you write a story? I could never do that. How do you come up with ideas?

The variety of question can all be answered with one simple word. Don’t. Yeah confused you huh. Well let us get more complex. I don’t write the story. I don’t come up with the idea and I don’t to all the questions you may come up with.



I don’t because the characters talk to me and tell me how their story should be told. They have life, emotions and are real. If they aren’t real to me then how can I make it real to you the reader? We’ll I can’t so they are real. They bring me all they are and strip their lives for me to see to put on the page. Yeah they get all naked emotionally, physically and mentally. They walk in front of me, bring me into their lives, dreams and hopes so I can see it all and revel their stories to you.

The power of words are only as good as the reality behind it.

Whether in contemporary, paranormal, sci-fi, time travel or any other genre’s once a character is alive in any writer’s mind it will show through on the pages of their books. I have read many author’s who bring characters to life in my mind with their writing. I go to sleep after reading the book and see the characters in my mind afterwards. They make me wonder what the character is doing.

I love books that follow the same hero or heroine because I get to revisit and see more of the character’s life. I love books that have characters that live with me long after I read the last page.

So yeah I am an author who hears voices of my character and I wouldn’t want it any other way. Although I learned my lesson and am quicker at telling people I hear voices that I am an author. Sigh. Long story. LOL. I’m an author whose characters talk to me and breathe life into my stories

My question to you. What character in a book you have read still speaks with you long after you have read the last page? Be sure and give us the title, author and the reason why.




Take a journey with me, Mikayla (my opinionated muse) and the many characters we’ve brought to life.


















Thanks for letting me bring you into my world.





Taige

6 comments:

Ciana / Syneca said...

Hi Taige and thanks for blogging with us. It's great to take a look inside another writer's head. Even nicer when you discover you're not the only one who has no clue how a story comes about - that you're just a viewer on the journey having the story channeled through you.

My most memorable character is Nicholas Linnear, bu Eric Lustbader: half-Caucasian, half-Oriental, a man caught between East and West, between the sexual passions of a woman he can't forget and the one he can't control and between a past he can't escape and a destiny he can't avoid. The man is still in my head and that book came out in 1985!

Sally Painter said...

Welcome to the hussies' blog, Taige!

I find the whole process of writing very intriguing and a great adventure. Frankly, if I knew how my books would turn out, I'd have no reason to write them.

Love your post! Thanks for being with us today!

Taige Crenshaw said...

Thanks for having me Ciana. Yeah it is a wonderful, sometimes frustarting but always worth it journey.

That's the sign of a good story when it sticks with you that long.

Taige

Taige Crenshaw said...

Thanks for Welcome Sally. A wonderful adventure.

Glad you liked it.

N.J.Walters said...

Great post, Taige.

Hmmm...it's hard to think about which characters stay with me because there are so many. LOL First, there are the ones I write about.

After that, I have many favorites. JD Robb's Eve and Rourke and two that immediately come to mind. JR Ward's the Black Dagger Brotherhood are hard to forget too.

Taige Crenshaw said...

Oh Eve and Rourke are my fav too. I have JR Ward’s books but haven’t read them yet. If it’s a series I figure I’d like I try to get a few before I read them that way I’m not ummm cursing when I reach the last one and want the next. LOL.