Sunday, March 30, 2008

Who's on Top?

Well in the Ci Section of Hussy-land, it'd be cowboys, or Native Americans. Or in a perfect world, Native American cowboys. Yeah baby! But let's simplify and say Cowboys.

And I'm not alone in my love of the Cowboy. Consider the stats, people. The PBR (Pro Bull Rider for those of you who thought I was speaking of beer) has a fan base of over 16 million people - nearly 40% of whom are women.
In 2005, the PRCA (Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association sanctioned 662 rodeos in 4 states and four Canadian provinces. Those rodeos paid more than $35 million in prize money. The Wrangler National Finals Rodeo, the PRCA's premier championship event held each December in Las Vegas, offers one of the largest purses in professional sports. In 2005, the Wrangler NFR set a record, offering $5.25 million in total prize money. And during the annual 10 day event, the Wrangler NFR draws approximately 175,000 fans.

Have I made my point? We love cowboys. We love seeing them "do their thang", cheering for them, "ooohing", "aaahing", and "oh shiting" for them as we watch.

And me? I like watching them, talking to them and writing about them. They are true romantic figures from our history that still live and walk among us. And sure, not every one of them looks like Clint Eastwood in his hay-day, but they all share something that makes them special - the cowboy heart. Ahhh, makes this gal's heart do a fast tw0-step for sure.

And it's not just in this country. Cowboys are immortalized in film and books and videos and art the world over. Don't believe me? Well check out this video from India.

Movie: Kadhalan
Actor: Prabhu Deva
Song: Muqabala Muqabala

Okay, so it's not exactly the kind of Cowboy idol we're accustomed to. More of a Spagetti western meets Gone with the Wind Costumes and sets, mixed with MC Hammer and Michael Jackson dance moves. But hey, it's got cowboys!

Before I go, let me say in closing that when it comes to being on top, I'm neutral. Top, bottom, on the side, in the saddle or on the fence. Doesn't much matter to me. We Hussies are flexible :)

Happy Sunday!!

Ci

6 comments:

Rachel.C said...

LMAO!!
I love it!
Where's Caleb?

N.J.Walters said...

Long live the cowboy!

Ciana / Syneca said...

Oh Rachel, didn't you see him in the background dancing? )snort, snicker)

Ciana / Syneca said...

Amen NJ - cowboys rule!!

Sally Painter said...

I Love, Love, Love that vid! Yee-HAW!

Nicole Austin said...

Mmm...cowboys! I love me some cowboys! Especially if they're ones Ci's written. :D