Monday, January 28, 2008

Monday Monday...can't trust that day!

Da da, da-da-da-daaaaah...

Since Sister Hussy Ciana brought up the topic of music yesterday, I figured I'd continue the theme (pardon the pun) with a few words about Monday music. For those of us proudly wearing the title Baby Boomer, the words "Monday Monday" immediately start us singing along with the Mamas and the Papas.

Yep, I like to sing along. I'll admit it. In the car, around the house, anywhere I'm alone and can let rip, I'll sing if there's something I know the words to on the radio. I even have one or two faves on my computer. Sadly, most of these are now labeled as "golden oldies" - and isn't THAT shattering! Way back when, music told a story, most often a love story (although Honky Tonk Woman is debatable) and we could figure out ninety percent or so of the words. Okay, Louie Louie may be the exception, but we only sing that when we're roaring drunk anyway, so who cares???

My Monday music tends towards the gentle, the caressing, the yes-you-can-make-it-through-the-day type of stuff (or help me make it through the night - remember that one?). It's not playing while I write because I find it distracting - I've got a bazillion memories invested in these songs and they rush back into my head when I hear a familiar riff or phrase. There are a lot of artists out there today who are making wonderful music - and I love Ci's "discovery", Ballistic Edna. Their middle eastern influence resonates with me and brings back more great memories. (Years ago I was involved in the Middle Eastern music field. You never forget drum talking...dum-tek-a-tek)

However, I confess to a wince or two these days when I inadvertently hit the wrong FM button on my car radio. Rap/heavy metal/hip-hop something-or-other doesn't do it for me. The only story it's telling me is how the group has a severe case of hemorrhoids. Or at least that's what it sounds like to my ancient ears. Do my son and I disagree on this? Yes. Quite a lot, since he's the one who messes with my car radio settings, the devil. I realize that times change and music reflects our society in so many subtle (and not so subtle) ways. This is fine with me...I'm all for it. And when a sister Hussy finds a new musical treasure like Ballistic Edna, I'm thrilled to bits. (I probably would NOT have stumbled over this group on my own. I will be asking Ciana where she surfs to find folks like this. I don't think they're on eBay. LOL)

All this rambling simply reminds me of our diversity and the variety of our interests. I try to remember that on a Monday when I put the key in the ignition and I'm greeted with an ear splitting scream from Rage Against the Machine. I hang on to the steering wheel (one of these days I swear it's gonna drop off from the decibel level), pray the windows don't shatter and gently turn down the volume. Then I slip in one of my CD's I've hidden in the sliding drawer under my seat. The one my son knows nothing about. And I let Mick and the boys give me some "Satisfaction" as I head out to run my errands.

Ahhhh.... now THAT'S a Monday song....

7 comments:

Humans. Cats. Boat. said...

Although I can listen to pretty much everything (try German carnival music once), I have to admit I'm not fond of the "golden oldies". Too mellow. I want to tap my foot but the beat is too slow. So I end up frustrated and bloated.

Okay, not necessarily frustrated.

I prefer my music to wake me up, grip me by the throat and yell WHATYOUREGONNADOWITHYOURLIFE?!!!!

To which I reply a hearty "IMGONNAROCK!!!!"

:P

Sahara Kelly said...

Aha!! It was YOU driving my car, wasn't it? 'Fess up, sistah Hussy! LMAO

Humans. Cats. Boat. said...

Oops, busted! :P

Ciana / Syneca said...

Well, color me the oddball because I like it all - from Sinatra to Puscifer.

My first song of the day today was
Chaiyya chaiyya by Sapna Awasthi and Sukwinver Singh (From the album Bombay Dreams).

If you've never heard of it, it was featured on the film Inside Man during the end credits.

You can listen to it here:

http://www.last.fm/music/Sukhwinder+Singh+%2526+Sapna+Awasthi/_/Chaiyya+Chaiyya

Sally Painter said...

I like all music just about. Some country I can't quite take, but that's a long story for a night drinking at the bar to tell why.

I love rock, classical, jazz, current, some rap, some hiphop, but not all of any of it.

I'm so digging Ballistic Edna! They rock!

Nicole Austin said...

Yeah, baby. Love those oldies. Raised my kids on them. When my daughter was a toddler, she came running every time an Elton John same came on. *g* I love most music, no not all, and it definitely depends on my mood. I can be yelling "Yeah" with Usher one minute and chilling to some smooth Jazz the next.

Deb said...

I love a mix of Music, depends on what I am doing.
I the morning though I need something to get me going.
Heck I even listen to {don't faint}
Miley Cyrus/hanannah Montana and Jonas Brothers..lol